Packed full of TONS of superfoods, protein, and both slow and quick digesting carbohydrates, these delicious little balls of goodness make the perfect mid day snack for you or wonderful addition to a school lunch for your kiddos, rather then a sugar filled granola bar or other alternative to keep fuelled and energized. They also make a perfect pre or post workout snack– I couldn’t wait to pop one (or two) in my mouth after my morning run today!
Makes approx.8- 10 balls (depending on size)
- 10-12 dried Medjool dates- pitted (approx. 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup almond/cashew butter,or sunflower seed butter if your childs’ school is “nut free”. (I like “Nuts to You Nut Butters”, but you can use your favourite brand)
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I like “vega” sports performance protein for a vegan option or “Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Blend, if not vegan)
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Oats (I like “Only Oats”)
- In a food processor, pulverize dates until a ball is formed.
- Add remaining ingredients, processing on high/medium until mixed thoroughly.
- Roll mixture into 1-1.5″ balls
- On a parchment lined plate or baking pan, place balls and refrigerate for 25 minutes.