Now that cauliflower prices are back below $11 a head, we can feed our kiddies this family favourite , scrumptious “Cheesy” Cauliflower Soup. Even our recently picky 9 year old gobbles it up! I like to cook it in my crockpot, so that it is ready to serve when I finish up work. YUM!
- 1 head of cauliflower (chopped- including stem)
- 4 carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (or more if you like extra cheesy flavour)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- water, to thin if desired (about 1/2 cup)
- Heat oven to 425F. Melt coconut oil and shake it with chopped cauliflower and carrots to coat.
- In a large roasting pan, roast carrots and cauliflower for 40 minutes or until vegetables start to brown.
- Meanwhile….On low/medium heat sauté onions in coconut oil on a large skillet until caramelized (golden brown-approx. 8 minutes)
- Add celery and garlic. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add all vegetables to blender with vegetable broth (split into 2-3 batches to prevent splatter.
- Pour mixture into crockpot and add cumin, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper.
- Heat on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8.
- Add up to 1/2 a cup of water to this the soup, if needed. (I personally prefer mine thick)
- Serve hot and enjoy.
TIP: Substitute 2 small heads of broccoli for the cauliflower to make a yummy “cheesy” broccoli soup instead! A great way to get the kiddos to eat their greens.