The incredible bounty of apples this time of year has me knees deep in coring, peeling, and finding all the creative ways to eat them all up. Apples are incredibly versatile, I use them in soups, sauces, salads, desserts, ciders, etc. The possibilities are truly endless! However, you don’t have to make it complicated. This easy recipe makes a delicious snack perfect for packing in the kiddo’s lunch kits, taking on a gorgeous fall hike, or if you’re like me…popping them in your mouth, anytime you set eyes on them!
*If you don’t own a dehydrator, you can use your oven, parchment paper, and a cookie sheet.
15-20 apples (thats how many fit in a batch in my dehydrator)
1 heaping tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. all spice
1/2 tbsp. Grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (“braggs” is my favourite)
- Wash, remove core, and thinly slice apples.
- In a large bowl put apple slices, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, all spice, and ginger.
- Shake until apples are coated as evenly as possible.
- Lay apple slices in a single layer in food dehydrator. Set on135F for 7 hours. (8 hours if you like them extra crunchy)Alternately, if you do not have a food dehydrator, you can bake them in the oven on 2 parchment paper lined ,large, cookie sheets. Bake at 200F for 2hours and 45 minutes or an extra hour if you like them extra crunchy.
- Store in a glass container in cupboard for up to 1 week or in refrigerator for up to 1 month. Or enjoy immediately.*TIP: I like to add them as salad toppers or as a side on a charcuterie board!